JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for Overseas Researchers
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for Overseas Researchers is for early career researchers who wish to conduct research in Japan.
This scheme provides funding for early career postdoctoral researchers to conduct cooperative research in Japan, with leading research groups in Japanese universities and other institutions, under the guidance of a host.
The British Academy is an overseas nominating authority for this scheme, which is funded entirely by the JSPS. In this capacity, the British Academy nominates a designated number of candidates each year.
Applications can also be made independently of the British Academy, by an open recruitment route, through host researchers in Japan.
The aim of the programme is to help researchers advance their own research while contributing to the progress of research both in Japan and abroad.
- Be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
- Hold a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect, which must have been received within six years prior to the award
- Have arranged in advance a research plan with a Japanese host researcher employed at a Japanese university/research institution.
For more details on eligibility please see the detailed scheme notes.
All fields of the humanities and social sciences are eligible to apply. Applications for research in the natural sciences should apply through the Royal Society.
Value and Duration
Awards are for a period of between 12 months minimum to 24 months maximum. The JSPS provides the following support:
- A round-trip air ticket for the Fellow
- A monthly maintenance stipend of ¥362,000
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000
- A research Grant ("Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research") of up to ¥1,500,000 per year (to a total of ¥3,000,000 for two years) for cooperative research-related expenses, applied for by the Japanese Host Researcher through his/her Host Institution
Please note that this scheme is offered by JSPS and is subject to their terms and conditions.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s electronic Grant Application and Processing (eGAP) system.
The 2016 round of this Scheme is now open for applications.
Deadline for applications: 17:00 (UK time) Wednesday the 9th of December 2015.
Deadline for current UK host institution approval (n/a in the case of Independent Scholars): 17:00 (UK time) Thursday the 10th of December 2015.
Deadline for Nominated Reference/Head of Department statements: 17:00 (UK time) Wednesday the 16th of December 2015.